Monday, March 16, 2009

whats next?











Hello again everyone,
It amazes me that there is work everyday here for us to do. The actual work part is slowing down and now we get to focus more on the proactive side of training. We have a lot of new and inexperienced people in our section so it is good to to be doing this, so we know we are all on the same page. I was tasked to put on a class for the Army's TSP (Thrift Savings Plan).....basically our 401(k) plan. It should be fun...there are lots of young soldiers here and will have too much money when they get home, so my job is to plant a seed for them to do something wise with their money. It is pretty cool the Army has another savings program that will pay you an APY of 10% on monies up to 10k while we are overseas....not sure of anywhere else you can get that right now.
As you can see in the picture of me, I still have a touch of home with me. I am sporting my Rosemount Irish (Go Burnsville!) and my TCF can coolie. Unfortunately the only thing in the can coolie is Diet Mt Dew. Although, the lack of beer consumption has allowed me to reduce my weight and improve my run time and endurance.
I will have a new mailing address after April 1st for packages......so basically, mom you can send me any cookies in April. Mom, do not send me cookies in April until I know I get mail at new address (probably in later April).....I dont want to have in fuzzy cookies waiting for me.
Some of the other pictures are the guys painting the bottom of their bags and getting them stenciled for shipping.....it is amazing on the amount of gear that we have. I think I will probably have gear that weighs as much as me when I fly out of here. I will make sure I get some pics of the gear when it is all packed up.
Time is going by quickly....all the days are basically the same. It has already been over a month, but many more months to go. If you have any ?'s about military life, just leave a comment and I will try to blog about it. I hear it is pretty nice in MN, it is still really unpredictable as far as weather here. Yesterday, we had snow, rain, sleet, sunshine, and wind.....changed several times yesterday.
Thats all for now,
Sam

5 comments:

  1. Great post Sammie! Yes, I have a question...Is that like a whole truck you are holding up in the bottom picture? You are really strong dude! Whats in those cookies G'ma is sending you?
    Say what, 10% APY....who's in charge of that plan...Bernie Madoff? Well, good luck and remember to stay compliant in your instruction to the TSP class. I am reminded of the day you had to come between me and that psycho client.......can't really say the name here but it rhymes with Cycle Harry---you know the guy, he is probably waiting in the lobby FOR YOU right now (wait its 5am, lets hope he not in the lobby right now--but if he is, I am sure he wants to see if you could do him a favor and fire me--wait a second, I did get fired, Cycle Harry won, he got his wish, he got me fired, and it just hit me now---D#@* it!). Anyways, I hope you have a dozen or so Cycle Harry's in the class.
    I was out walking the Pit Bull on Sunday and was fortunate enough to bump into your family, man what a good looking group! Thank God, and I mean this, that the kids look like their mother. Funny how that works out sometimes.
    Take care Sammie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are you guys painting your bags?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do I send your box of cash after April 1st for to add to your 10% fund?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say that I am so proud of you! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we paint the bags so that when there are lots of bags piled up you can read them easily.....we also stenciled them with our unit info and last 4 (ss#)

    ReplyDelete