Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy 4th of July
















Hello Everyone!










Alot of time has passed since my last blog update, but things remain fairly consistant where I am at. I am still working in the motorpool and now have switched to the night shift to avoid the Iraq heat. I was pretty hesitant to starting nights, but love it now. Things are still being developed for us soldiers here in Basra, but seems like if we dont have it yet, we really wont need it. Everyday seems to roll together and I just try to keep busy. It seems to work out as I hit the gym often and makes sleeping the time off easy. I will have to say that it is nice having a good group of friends around here to make this whole process easier. Most of us worked together back home and it makes days better when you seem to have an off day.










I have my CHU (containerized housing unit) 99% the way I want it. We have even made a patio for the front of it to make hanging out that much nicer. I recently bought a small fridge to make beverages cold on demand. I have had the opportunity to get internet wired to my room and have a phone to make outgoing calls for free whenever I want to (as long as the internet is working). I am doing well and am in the best shape that I can remember. I have my 2 mile run time down to about 14:30 and set a personal best of 301 straight sit ups. I am motivated by boredom and the opportunity to have my dad send out a new christmas card with my new and improved body. (a couple years ago he sent out a picture of me at the lake about 35 lbs heavier) ohhhh well. I just got done talking to my family at the lake.....it was nice to hear everyone and it will probably be one of the hardest holidays to get through. Probably the one week out of the year when I got to do nothing, drink beer, fish, tube down the river, and enjoy the company of family n friends.








If there is anything else that you would like to hear, let me know. I look forward to being back home sooner or later. It is nice to see that it is already July and this is flying by. I have Fridays off, so I hope to have atleast a weekly update.
Until next time,
Sam

3 comments:

  1. Happy 4th to you too. I just got back from the OT and Erin and I are getting ready to watch the Lakeville fireworks from our deck. The Zorbaz T pic w/ machine gun is now hanging on their wall. Macho Nacho's were good and we convinced Alex to eat some jalapeno. You didn't miss much fishing, the boat will need your superior Army mechanic abilities to get it running tip-top again since it didn't feel like working very well for us today. Another thing you are not missing is the mosquitoes - I have roughly 83 fresh bites to keep me scratching this evening.
    Take care,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy and I got Zorbaz shirts to match yours, but we seem to be having trouble getting our hands on some machine guns.

    I found your infamous Christmas card photo on Mom n Dad's computer...I'm sure we haven't seen the last of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sam-
    Glad to hear things are going as well as can be expected. Scott and I are planning our first weekend at OT in August....hopefully to celebrate your Dad's and Scott's birthday's. Can't wait to float down the river!! Keep cool and stay SAFE!!

    ReplyDelete